Saturday, January 02, 2010

Tori Tama (CLOSED DOWN)

The vibe is dark, classy and mysterious....

Full of interesting nooks and crannies waiting to be discovered.

Random sake bottles...

An interesting wall motif...

If you are on a budget, go during lunchtime and order the set lunches (SGD18-25+++)

Lunch last week was an enjoyable affair. Safe for another couple, we were the only ones in the restaurant and were duly showered with the full attention of the staff. Even the ice in our drinks was individually refilled from little ice buckets.

There isn't really much to choose from the set lunch menu (less than 10 choices) and the restaurant doesn't serve yakitori during lunchtime (pity!) I opted for the oyako don (SGD18) while my kaki had the kurobata syoga set (kurobata pork served teppanyaki style)(SGD25)

The egg in my oyako don was a little too undercooked for my liking with some tranparent runny stuff still visible. The marinated chicken pieces were tender and went really well with the egg and the rice. However, in my humble opinion, it was nothing worth raving about.

The kurobata pork was what really stole the show, with its melt in the mouth texture. It was perfectly complemented by sauteed onions and fluffy Japanese rice.

Dessert just comprised of a slice of dragon fruit each. Feeling unsatisfied, my kaki and I ordered a scoop of black sesame and matcha ice cream to share (SGD4 per scoop).

Presentation was lovely but the ice cream didn't quite make the cut, with bits of icicles still trapped in every bite.

I like this place for its ambience and quaint location (just alongside the promenade). It would be nice if yakitori could be served during lunchtime. However, till then, I'll guess I'll just have to make a return visit during dinnertime.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails