Saturday, August 28, 2010

Kki

So I have finally made it to Kki

It was good friend cum ex colleague's birthday and I had taken the afternoon off to spend it with her. The weather was sweltering hot and after a scrumptous dim sum lunch at Wah Lok, we decided to lift our lazy butts and head elsewhere for coffee and cake.

Kki came to mind straightaway as the type of place my friend would like. We hailed a cab there and were pleasantly surprised to find 2 empty tables in the usually crowded hole in the wall cafe. Since there were 4 of us, we swiftly tried to join the tables together, only to be chided by the very cross looking lady owner who also doubles up as the maitre' d.

The cake selection looked a little frumpy that day. Absent were crowd favorites like the Red Riding Hood and Mont Blanc. Instead, bulk of the offerings comprised of a couple of plain looking triangular cakes (cheesecake and chocolate cake) and some rectangular ones (passionfruit and berry flavoured).

Undaunted, we ordered 4 slices to share, as seen in the picture below



The dome shaped one is called Cafe Dumo (chocolate coffee) and the teardrop shaped one is called Antoinette (white chocolate, mango puree). The 2 rectangular ones are Kinabaru (yellow) and a berry-flavored one whose name I have forgotten (red in color). Kinabaru contains coconut mousse, passionfruit creme and a soft chocolate sponge base. The red one contains champagne and has a strong berry aftertaste.

Personally, although the cakes were nice enough, they did not make me go "WOW". Kinabaru was my favorite of the lot, with its striking passionfruit undertones. I wish the chocolate sponge base of the cake could be crunchy though.

Some drinks to accompany our desserts

My friends enjoyed the experience at Kki (including browsing curios at The Little Drom store).

However, for me, something was missing. And I'm still trying to figure out what all the hype is about.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails