Saturday, March 20, 2010

Buffet Bliss

I almost forgot how a good buffet should really taste like.

That is, until I went back to The Line for dinner last week.
(the restaurant is currently offering a 38% discount for advance reservations via their website. Click here for details)

It was like a jolt back to reality.

This is how ALL buffets should taste.

Fresh seafood generously laid on a bed of ice
(oysters, giant prawns, scallops and mussels)

Fat slabs of sashimi (tuna, salmon, swordfish) with killer wasabi to match

Mouthwatering antipasti and cheese platters

Scrumptous salads that don't taste like grass

Carbs (roasted potatoes) too good to resist

Mashed potatoes that make my heart sing.

Gratifying pastas smothered with shavings of grated cheese

A delectable spread of Indian delights like Tandoori Chicken and Naan

Prata good enough to rival Jalan Kayu's (I kid you not)

An array of delectable dim sum (char siew bao, siew mai, har gaw and the usual suspects) which I regrettably chose to skip because I'm not a dim sum fan


Deep fried crispy baby squids. Love at first sight and first bite.

Yorkshire pudding and roast beef with brown gravy. A perennial British favorite. Heavy but satisfying.

A close up of the spongy yorkshire pudding which goes wonderfully with the mashed potatoes and reminds me (for some weird reason) of Popeye's biscuits. Click here for Gordon Ramsey's recipe.

Glorious sticks of satay (beef, chicken or mutton) which were a crowd favorite. The accompanying peanut sauce is to die for.

Freshly baked pizza

Herbal prawns- a must-try. The prawns were huge and their meat sweet and succulent.

My very own personalised kway teow "ta" topped with enoki mushrooms, dumplings and quails eggs. The combi almost killed me..too much chilli!

Dessert was an equally lavish affair. Even the thought of it is making me salivate.

Ladies and gents, I present to you the Ultimate Crepe. Prepared ala minute.

Bursting with the goodness of Nutella

The final product. Doesn't it look like a huge thosai? Eat it on its own or with a generous ladle of mixed fruit. Either way, it tastes delicious.

A chocolate fondue tower to oogle at. A kid magnet.

A bouquet of marshmallows for your thoughts?

Ice cream lovers- rejoice!

If you still have space, don't forget to try The Line cake. Its not named after the restaurant for nothing.

Other droolworthy desserts (which I was too full to try)

For me, a slice of kueh lapis with a cup of hot tea is a must-have before I consider a meal complete. The Line's version did not disappoint. The funny chocolate cake beside it however was dry and unappetising.

Fruits for good health (because mom said so)

All in all, it was a very enjoyable dinner. Service was friendly and good (I like the fact that there's a service staff stationed beside almost every dish to ensure that a certain level of quality is maintained at all times). Food was excellent. Although the 38% discount did defray some of the cost, this is still not one meal you can afford to eat everyday.

I'm already looking forward to my next visit!

The Line
22 Orange Grove Road
Basement, Shangri La Hotel
Tel: 62134275

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails