Saturday, May 22, 2010

Tribute to Fries

There is only one word to summarize my food exploits this week- FRIES

My latest obsession- sweet potato and truffle fries from Barracks @ Demsey

Many people regard fries as side dishes to be eaten alongside mains like steak and fish. I, on the contrary consider fries to be the highlight of a meal.

I love fries, especially ones that are perfectly executed. Nothing quite compares with a plate of fries and an icy glass of diet coke on a hot day.

Since fries are often frowned upon as unhealthy junk food (you would have to walk 2 hours to walk off one large serving of french fries ), it is important to maximize pleasure from every bite . Here's my funny little list of favorite fry-haunts for every occasion.

Free Flow Fries to chomp on the whole night long

A most unflattering shot of the fries and mussels at Brussels Sprouts

Winner: Brussel Sprouts. Fries are thickly cut and served in colored tumblers. They serve as an accompaniment to the restaurant's signature mussels. Best eaten hot off the fryer with a cold glass of beer on hand.

Fries to order if you are on shoe string budget/ need a quick fix/ don't want to think or travel too much:


Winner: Mac Donalds. Mac Donald fries are my first love. I hold them responsible for my stubborn love handles to this day.

Haute fries / Fries for special occasions

Winner: Head to Barracks cafe at Demsey Road where they serve the most delish truffle scented fries ever. I have also become a recent convert of their sugar crusted sweet potato fries- love at first bite! Barracks is a lovely cafe surrounded by greenery. Its an excellent place to chill out with a book if you have the afternoon to spare. The "Sliders" set offers best value. At SGD22, you get a generous serving of sweet potato AND truffle fries as well as 2 scrumptious mini burgers.


Signing off with a French Fry Song which I found on YouTube. Looks like I am not the only french fry fanatic out there...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails