Sunday, May 23, 2010

Xiong Kee Charcoal Roasted Delights

Disappointing

By a strange stroke of luck, Hubby and I found ourselves lunchless in Bukit Batok last Saturday.


My immediate suggestion was to head to Xiong Kee for a bite. Hubby loves roast meat and so do I. We had heard rave accolades of the stall's legendary roast meats and were curious to see if this humble stall could dethrone Kay Lee's.

I felt a little apprehensive when I stepped into the unassuming coffeeshop at 4pm only to find a random handful of old men sipping their late afternoon kopis. It didn't help that the stall had no customers and looked a little too dowdy for my liking (rating C for cleanliness by NEA). Even the pieces of char siew and roast chicken dangling off the hooks looked decidedly dejected.

The sloppy young lad who took our orders didn't really seem to understand what I was telling him (I wanted the fattier portions of the char siew with more charred ends). He didn't even bother warming up the meat before serving us.


The cold char siew was moist and palatable, but nothing spectacular by layman's standards. It was limp looking with no nice burnt honey aftertaste. Even the tangy chili sauce failed to awaken our tastebuds.

Whilst the roast pork was slightly more enjoyable and boasted a thin layer of crackling. a substantial part of it basically comprised of fatty gelatinous layers (which I could not bring myself to eat).

If there are 3 words to describe my visit to Xiong Kee's it would be: uneventful, unappetising and unenjoyable.

Xiong Kee Charcoal Roasted Delights
Chop Khoon Fong Wee Coffeeshop
Block 265 Bukit Batok East Avenue 4, 01-405
Open: 7am - 9pm daily, closed two Wednesdays a month

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails