Friday, November 27, 2009

Pu Tien @ Tampines Mall

After catching a movie today, hubby and I randomly walked into Pu Tien @ Tampines Mall for lunch today. No reservations, no expectations, nothing.

I've been a little shellfish crazy these days so I tried ordering bamboo clams. Unfortunately, they were not in season.

Thankfully, there was chili lala (or mussels). Not as piquant as the ones at hawker centres but satisfying nonetheless.

Yum...

Better yet, I surprised myself by ordering a hairy crab (thinking to myself...what the hell..there's always a first time). Sensing my apprehension, a very nice elderly waitress patiently ripped apart the crustacean for me and even arranged it nicely on a plate. Thank you auntie!

Before..

and after

People always say the best part of a hairy crab is its roe. I couldn't agree more. The roe tastes like a cheesier version of uni-creamy, rich and finger licking good. Ditch the tiny morsels of meat and go straight for the roe!

Go for Gold

Other less exciting dishes ordered were battered eggplant with pork floss, sweet and sour pork with lychee...and of course, Pu Tien's very famous Hing Hwa fried bee hoon.

Notice how the eggplant is practically buried in the floss

Sweet and sour pork with lychees.. palatable but otherwise ordinary

I almost forgot how good the beehoon was. In fact, I liked it so much I forgot to take a picture of it. The strands of beehoon were so light and airy that they almost melted in my mouth. You've got to try it to believe it.

Our unexpectedly indulgent lunch set me poorer by 93 bucks (the crab alone cost SGD38 but came with complimentary dessert). Nonetheless, given the novelty of the experience, I guess it helps soothe the sting somewhat.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for this tips

Waragaw said...

Most welcome. Pu Tien is one of my favorite Chinese restaurants!

I recently tried another Hinghwa restaurant called Xing Hua Family Restaurant at Towner Road. Although its prices are much cheaper than Pu Tien, the food was definitely not as good.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails